Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Latvia!

I am floored. I am overwhelmed, I am filled with joy at the moment. About two months ago, two of my friends: Amanda and Jennifer started talking about going to Latvia on a mission trip with the youth of our church. The goal was simple: To proclaim Christ to a group of young people in Latvia. I admitted to both of them that I wanted to go, but my main reason was that they were going. I told myself immediately that was a dumb reason to do anything much less go on a mission trip.

Gayle, the organizer, in a casual conversation with me told me that what she wanted was someone who would be comfortable speaking to the kids in a preaching setting. God has been working with me the last yearon that and has had me speak at youth gatherings all year long!! Weird, I thought. Was God preparing me this whole time for something like Latvia. I prayed and OVERWHELMINGLY felt that the answer needed to be yes to preach at the camp.

I didn't have the money. I don't make large amounts of money and 4 years of college will take my 20 years to finish paying off at the rate I'm going. God provides. Not only did he give me peace about the finances, but he actually took care of them! COMPLETELY! From the strangest places too. Having never asked my boss for support or even hint that I needed money for the trip, he hands me a check!! My firend Gabe, having worked more hours than he needs, donates some hours to me so I can go to Latvia! Church members I have known for years gladly give of their money to send us. Overwhelming support from an overwhelming God!

I'm so nervous I'm almost shaking every time I think about the trip which as of the time of writing this is a little over a week away! God is showing me trust, in myself, but only because of Him. Because He is and will always be working to sanctify me. And because He is enough. When life is tough and I have my dark nights of the soul, He is enough. When things are good, He is enough, and when I can't see how to getby from one day to the next, He is enough until i reach my last breath and He is enough for all of eternity. What an amazing God.

No comments: