Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Thoughts on Latvia

Wow, what an amazing trip!! I have so much I could say, but since nobody actually reads this stuff it's really only for my sake. I had some pretty interesting experiences that I think I'm going to need some time to digest. My initial thoughts on Latvia:

It's a simple life. I actually LOVED that about Latvia... didn't really see people in such a hurry to get places. Except that they do drive kind've crazy. Ha ha. The first people we met were some of the Josiah Venture folks and the Asnevics Family (Actually I'm not sure how to spell their last name) Toms, Tabita, and of course Marta quickly became my favorite Latvians, they're funny, and their smiles are infectious. Marta actually spent the week trying to emulate my big eyes, which she did very well. They gave us a warm welcome and drove us to Villandes where we would be staying the night before heading to the camp. A beautiful church!! Inside and out, very comfortable. Worship time at Vilandes was awesome! The Latvian language is pretty cool, but so stinking hard!!

Kazdangas:

We headed out the next morning to our camp site about 2 hours west of Riga. Kazdangas was a very very small town with a school right smack in the middle. We stayed at the school, which resembled a palace more than it did a school. There was a giant nest that housed 4 storks, two of which we named Bob and Sally, that sat right on top of the school. The kids were so much fun, they loved to laugh and were having fun no matter what.

God did not intend for me to get very comfortable. The very first night, a girl named Santa cornered me and began to ask questions about the existence of God. It was scary and amazing! Our discussions continued throughout the week and I think some of the other counselors had some good talks with her as well. Her life is in God's hands and I believe He is pursuing her, which is good. I loved hanging out with the kids, I loved the team we took. The youth from our church amazed me EVERY STINKING DAY. Obi was a rock star, the 3 Ks had a long line of followers, and Zach had one of the most amazing stories of the trip with his friendship with a small local boy. They all did a beautiful job of showing Christ to the campers.

I admit I was scared of the talks, or sermons, or whatever. When I got there, there was immediately some tension as the Josiah Venture folks were upset that I changed the curriculum around, but thank God we got past it and they were pleased with the outcome. I had a weird experience the night of the Gospel presentation: one that can only be described as spiritual warfare. An unbelievable sense of fear gripped me that night. Doubt. So much self-doubt. I had a huge sense of "don't you dare go out there" overcome me. I put it all in God's hands and went up to talk. I barely remember what I said that night, but it was all God and he used me regardless of me which I praise Him for. There is one thing that I never told anyone: when I stepped of the stage that night I heard a voice, very clear, very intentional "You need to do this"

I've been wrestling with what that means, where that voice originated, but one the one thing I can't admit to myself because it scares me so much, is that it was a clear direction from God. That He either desires me to do missions or preaching ministry.. two things I never saw myself doing. I can stand up in front of a crowd and talk. So can Parrots. I'll keep wrestling with this, but I admit it scares the junk out of me.

So the trip was an unforgettable one: The people, the country, the relationships... I will not soon forget it.

1 comment:

Gabe said...

I read this Los... and I'm so glad that God was able to give you the words to speak to these people. I was praying for all of you down there and am happy to hear it was time and money well spent