Monday, February 16, 2009

No Tylenol in Kenya...

Immunizations are up to date: Yellow Fever, Malaria, and Typhoid have been added to the mix: Come on world, hit me with your best shot! I am bulletproof! Ha... so maybe not so much. So I was sitting in the nurses office at the County Health Office getting my shots with my friend Jennifer when I started thinking about something:

How much do Kenyans face? What is their biggest complaint in life? Here were two well fed American adults getting every shot imaginable to protect us from an onslaught of illnesses that run rampant in Africa. Why? Because clean water is not a given. Efficient sewage is far from reality. Insect control is not a priority. There is not a bottle of Tylenol in every African's pocket. This saying came to me through a sermon I heard. The pastor was relaying the story of his trip to the Sudan (just north of Kenya) when he recounted a pastor friend of his who would always respond to some tough questions about his country with the phrase "There is no Tylenol in Sudan"

See, when I have a headache I reach for a bottle that is literally right in front of me as I type this. If I were in my car I would reach for that bottle, if at home I would reach for one there. If my headache continued I would eat something healthy, drink a tall glass of water, and take a nap. If it continued I would go to the doctor, take whatever pills he gave me, and if it STILL continued: Then I would start to pray. So there is no Tylenol in these places. And God is turned to first, because they have no other hope. SO what would we have to lack? What small comforts are in the way of remembering God? The nation of Israel wondered the desserts for 40 years, being led by a pillar of fire by night and a cloud by day, it literally rained down food and water flowed from the dry dessert and rocks... and still they turned their backs on God. What if there were no Tylenol? What a sobering thought about the immensely blessed place we live and the things we take for granted.

I leave for Kenya in just under 4 weeks. The thought of what God has for me there is freaking me out a little bit. God has been very deliberate in taking me to these places, and I know he has just as much growth planned for me than the people I will be helping. Thank you all for your prayers and your support. I will be posting some trip specifics when possible.

No comments: