I didn't want to go. I find this one particularly amusing. I actually feel embarrassed writing about it, but its true. I didn't feel like taking this trip this year. There were a lot of reason I had. The team is too small, I don't really know anybody on this trip, I don't have the money to do this, I'd rather lead a family group at youth camp where all my friends are going.... Boy, I had a ton of excuses. Until God brought Clark and Gayle Red to tell me to my face: You're going!
I'm glad I did go. I'll save you the suspense: The trip was amazing. I loved every minute of it. Some of my favorite parts of the trip:
1) The team - What a cool bunch of people.
Bobby - I had known Bobby for a while now, but didn't really interact with him too much.(other than the occasional "hey" at church) But seeing him in action was very encouraging for me. He loves to serve. He has an amazing heart for people. It is inspiring to me the way he loves his life. He is passionate about Christ and genuinely walks around like he's the luckiest guy in the world. He is hopelessly in love with his wife and his son, that is something to be treasured in this world. Good Christian guys are everywhere, but Godly Christian guys are a rare breed. Here's to you Knucks Poppins
Sam - I flat out love this guy. He's so full of joy and laughter. He can make me laugh without saying a word. We shared a tent and laughed at everything and anything. We must have laughed ourselves to sleep every night. Such a mature spirit in such a young guy, too. The guy can do work!
Lindsay - What a cool girl. I think I interacted with her more than anybody preparing for this trip. She'd be the first to admit she had exactly a billion questions she asked me before we went. I like that she wanted to be so prepared, but in the end it was her willingness to go besides her reservations that was so inspiring to me. It didn't hurt her case much that she was just flat out fun to be on a mission trip with. She has a great sense of humor and is a great teacher! My favorite memory of her on the trip was her giving me marriage tips outside the market in Nairobi. I mentioned admiring Bobby for the great example of a young married person, she gave me the same impression. So in love with the man God gave her and so inspiring to a young single guy. Thank you Lind-say
Amber - So odd that a girl I randomly met in a gym in December would join our team for Africa!! But she has such a great heart, is so much fun, that its hard not to thank God for bringing her along. I loved her eye for the details of the things around her. The trees, the sky, everything was a breath of fresh air for her, it was awesome to witness.
Karen/Laura - I put them together because they were so inseparable. Karen and I are old mission buddies already, having been to Latvia together. Its actually been cool to see her mature so much since then too! Her love for small groups was like a virus in the group, infecting all of us and causing many discussions! Laura was amazing! Such a great girl... I don't think I ever saw her without a smile on her face. (and btw did you know she's a vegetarian?) Ha ha.
Wow, I've been writing forever... more later.
Kneeling: Karen and Amber
Standing: Laura, Bobby, Carlos, Lindsay, and Sam
No comments:
Post a Comment