Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Election 2008

This is a blog response to my friend Angela's post about politics. I am pretty disgusted with American politics right now. We no longer care who is best for the country, only who can spend the most money putting their faces on billboards. So who to choose? Some of my more conservative friends, all good Christian folk, seem to think that McCain is the only moral choice, and that to vote for Obama would equal selling my soul to Satan, and be an indication that my heart was not transformed by Christ. The good, the bad, and the ugly?

McCain - Has given years of public service, fought and bled for this country, and seems to genuinely love America. My problems with him are character wise. I followed the primary campaign in 2000. How in 8 years did McCain change himself so much? How did he abandon the things he used to believe in so readily? Was it because he wanted more votes? Did he really change his stance? I don't know. What I do know is that I do not appreciate him being so trite about sending our soldiers to war. Sing songs all you want, but nobody finds it funny when you call for a third war in song.

Obama - Big Question mark. I kid you not, you can ask my mother if you don't believe me, when I saw him in the 2004 Democratic convention, I turned to my mom and said "That man's gonna be President someday" Why? Because I learned a long time ago that what people want in a leader is inspiration. Honestly we collectively care less about certain policies, in favor of real hope. Therein lies the problem, that if he turns out to be a real jerk, he could easily have millions blind followers like the many charismatic leaders behind him. He means well. Regardless of what people say about him, he loves this country. He's not secretly a Muslim waiting to take over the reigns so he can convert us all. He's a young politician that was inspired to serve just like McCain was.

This brings me to what MY deciding factor is, one which can only be reached with a motto my pastor dad always repeated to me about politics: "You can not legislate morality"
By which he meant that no law will govern what people think. It's what makes this country truly free. The ability to think for ourselves without penalty. So honestly while the ultra-conservatives spend MILLIONS of dollars and time on trying to pass laws banning abortion (A practice I wholeheartedly disagree with and believe is sinful and disgusting), maybe they should spend all that energy pouring in to their churches and families. Question and challenge the root of abortion: unwanted pregnancies. Pour in to our communities through the CHURCH, who's job was not legislated, but decreed by God Himself. So government handouts are wrong. I totally agree, but where are the Church handouts?

My point is that abortion alone does not equal one person being more qualified to lead the country. This is a hard enough election without trying to put the person on a pedestal as well as in office. What we have to decide in the election is who is best for the country as a whole? It's your call. And if you live in Texas: be assured that your vote will not change the fact that McCain wins Texas.As for me: My vote is a write-in: "Jed Bartlett"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

...and that to vote for Obama would equal selling my soul to Satan, and be an indication that my heart was not transformed by Christ.

Hahahahaha! I know some people think that, but I hope you don't think I think that! There are some very good, Jesus-loving people who disagree with me as you do. Of course, I think Jesus disagrees with YOU, but that's another issue entirely. ;)

I really do see where you're coming from. However, I can't see abortion as just one of many issues. If it were infanticide (oh wait... it is), it wouldn't be crowded together with issues of economy and foreign policy. I just can't get past it.

And while you can't legislate morality, you sure can work to avoid legislating immorality.

But, thank you for your very civil and respectful rebuttal!

LOS said...

Ouch! Jesus likes me just fine. Yeah I wasn't talking about you in the "Obama vote - Satanic" camp. Some people I know here. I actually quite enjoy debating politics ;-) May the best candidate (or most popular) win

Anonymous said...

Oh I never said He didn't like you. He's just patiently waiting for you to knock on the door to truth and wisdom...

;)