So I'm trying very hard to only update this blog once a year apparently. Here's the thing, I love to think and I love to write... so a blog seemed like a great idea a few years ago. Even if nobody read it, it would be fun to have my thoughts out there! The problem? I'm the laziest person I know.
Which brings me to the reason I've decided to continue writing here. See, not many people know this about me, but I have a weight problem. (lame joke I know) I was not necessarily ever a "skinny" guy, but I have been in shape for more years of my life than I have been out of it (not by much now). Right around my first year of college, I decided I liked sitting on my bum. A lot. I decided I could go to the gym later, and later, and later... and I decided that cooking meals was a lot more work than going to the whataburger across the street. So I just stopped doing the things that I knew were healthy, stopped doing the things my parents taught me about eating right. I just stopped. I am now just shy of 180 lbs heavier than I was in high school. Not a typo. Not at all. This actually happened to me, and I did it to myself.
The good news? God is heavier than me. After spending years dreading the size of the hole I had dug myself into, I started praying to God for strength to take the first step. I took it at the start of lent. No desserts for 40 days. I had no weight loss in mind, just the thought of something that had a foothold on me that I wanted to break. So here I am, one week away from being sweet-free fro 40 days. Its an important step for me, because it made me realize just how much I craved those things. And more importantly, how I would be just fine without them.
So why not another step? A year or so ago I bought a little "fitbit" a tiny contraption that you clip on to yourself, and based on your stats, monitors your movement and counts how many calories a day you burn. Easy right? Just eat less calories than what is on that counter by the end of the day and you'll start to lose.
Weird thing: It actually works. 10.5lbs in less than three weeks. I started going to the gym regularly again for the sole purpose of seeing that stupid little number on the fitbit website labeled "Calories Burned" grow.
So I've decided to chronicle the journey here. I'm fairly certain the 3 people that read this blog before, no longer do. And I'm ok with that. This one is for me.
I'm His.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You're still on my Google Reader, though I only check that about once a month these days!
Great job, Carlos!
Post a Comment