Thursday, March 26, 2009

Day 4: Continued


So before I tell you about Day4: I have to address the potty hole. My friend Angela asks what the specifics about that were. So: when the people heard we were coming, they said, wow...we should get those Americans something to sit on! So they installed a toilet seat to fit right on top of the hole. So you sit, and it falls, and it smells. ;p The rest of the time we were not so lucky (ie at the conference) where the normal hole in the ground rule applied. This required a steady squat and better aim.

It reminds me that I have yet to tell you more about our living situation. They got us tents and sleeping bags! So basically, it was like a week long campout! I roomed with my good friend Sam, with Jenn and Tabita in the tent next to us within yelling distance.

So enough about that: Day 4 brought about my first teaching time. I spent the morning at the Women's conference to hear Jenn teach about small groups, then I headed over to the youth conference to do what was my favorite lesson: An entire Bible exposition. That is: teach the Bible as a WHOLE. So naturally I did a lot of OT and showed how it foreshadowed the coming Christ. I thought it went well and the youth pastors liked it. I was really trying to show how they have to teach the Bible as one unified theme: Not Angry God vs Loving God, but God who planned Salvation from the beginning.

The Youth leaders begged for an extra session to discuss the problem of a youth group, so I stayed behind while the rest of the group went to the school. I had one of the most amazing conversations of my life: An elderly Maasai member told me about his tribe. We discussed the plight of his people. What they were struggling with, how they were reconciling their new faith with years of tradition, etc. It was awesome. The best part? We discussed this entire thing while he was showing me two Maasai warriors slaughtering a couple goats. Let me tell you, if you've never seen this type of thing before... wow. They just take its life, no hesitation. They are hungry and it is food. I have no problem with that. He explained to me that while they would normally drink the blood of the goat, the conference had paid for the animal, so it would be wrong for them to partake of it. Even outside of Christ the Maasai felt a sense of morality. It was cool. All except for the blood drinking part. Jenn, Sam, Tabita, and I finished the day preparing bags for the following day's school visit.

Can still remember that goat.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahahahaha thanks for explaining!

Anonymous said...

I have to leave another comment because of the wv:

choppo

"I was just standing there talking to this guy when all of a sudden, CHOPPO! the warriors killed the goat."